Sunday, June 28, 2015

TIGHTROPE WALKING AS A CAREER

JUNE 8, 1959

I was thinking of all the misshaps I have had over the years.  On my 8th grade summer vacation I decided to try my acrobatic talents (or should I say attempt a crazy thought!) at tightrope walking on my fence in the back yard.  My efforts proved quite exceptional after about 4 successful circles of the yard fence.  Little did I know that I was getting a bit too cocky ( already  considering my fame and fortune with the Barnum and Bailey circus as the world's greatest tight rope walker of all time!!!!) With increased speed, my balancing act became a disaster. Rather than a very elegant bow, I found myself tumbling, legs flailing toward not only the hard mother earth, but enroute managed to land on a hoe which was pointed sharp edge up.  What are the odds!!!!!!  MY WORST day ever, since now I had to have a row of stitches on my inner thigh, a tetnus shot, the worst headache ever, and was banned from swimming for 10 days (the boy I was madly in love with had invited me to a swim party at his home the next day!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!  Humiliation, anger, frustration, regret, and tears replaced my most anticipated joy!!!!  MORAL OF THE STORY:  If you decide to walk fences, or want to be a circus  performer, scrutinize the area for sharp objects first!  Just kidding

No comments: