For the last several weeks I have observed an Alzheimer patient who has been a close friend for many years. His mind is forgetful, but there is still the sense of humor, love and caring for others, sensitivity to others needs, and close ties to past friendships. Over the past few years, I have also noticed the shortness, and gruff behavior of his wife toward him-even talking about the negative things about him in his presence. It made me sad , but I realized that her position of being housebound with worry over his forgetfulness in dangerous circumstances, must be such a heavy burden. The marriage that I had always placed on a pedestal for the sweet words and actions of each to the other, was being injured. That is when she called me and asked if she could hire me one day a week to "watch" her husband for the morning that she got her hair done, so she would no longer have to worry while gone. Little did she realize that the same morning that she called was the morning that I pleaded with my Heavanly Father to allow me to be an instrument in his hands more in helping others and being aware of their needs. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity and explained to her that no money was necessary, because she was just answering my prayer for me. :) After trying her hardedst to give me something, I told her blessings were the best pay I could possibly receive and that she would deprive me of them if she insisted on paying in other ways.
So for the last 3 weeks I have laughed, visited, all while doing 1,000 piece puzzles with him.(all my favorite things to do!!) He has been so fun and lightened my burdens by my lightening his and his wife's burdens. We have so much fun how could I possibly receive money for having the time of my life!! As I leave, I always tell him what a fun morning I had and how I cannot wait till next week (that is the truth!) He has a big grin. The best part, however is the demeaner of his wife towards him. I have watched her soften, be more loving to him and more carefree, like that pedestal marriage that I so remember. Perhaps I have had a super tiny influence on that love and happiness I see in their eyes as I leave... All I know is that there is love and happiness in mine as I drive away.... :)
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment