Interesting, as I pondered Father's Day, my father's image, personality, and character popped into my mind (but then, duh, of course it would!)! My memories are full of my dad's smiles and teases,and, most especially his sense of humor. When telling a funny story, he would get so tickled over the amusing tale that he would be giggling as he was telling it, causing his listeners to join him in the giggles even before the punchline...
A most special picture in my mind and memory is that dad ALWAYS would pause and lean over to give my mother a sweet kiss on the lips (a sweet kiss that was dripping in love!) I would always ask for my kiss too, but even though my kiss was never as sweet and tender as my mothers, it never bothered me as I watched this ritual daily, weekly and sometimes hourly. There was no doubt that my dad loved my mom! Even if there were a disagreement, which was rarely seen by us, there were still kisses sealing that love! Their disagreements never lasted long either, for such frivolty was shunned by them.
To my dad, friends were for "life"! Friendships which began in elementary school (and perhaps even before that!) still had strong bonds even at his passing. He would meet for coffee and donuts with many of those old buddies on a daily basis. Those that lived too far away were always eager to have a reunion. All were his
"forever" friends.
When it came to his little girl, nothing could be good enough!! I was his princess! I remember wanting a ring so desperately when I was small and was biting my fingernails. My promise was a nice ring if I would cease that filthy habit. In my mind, I was doing it to please my dad and the ring was the fringe benefit. When I lost the ring a short time later my heart was broken and unconsolable. It had been lost in the hay in the goat pasture, but hunt as I might, it was not to be recovered. Dad had a way of always "making things better" for me, and it was not too terribly long before the ring was replaced by an even more expensive beautiful birthstone ring that I have to this day. Of my cherished posessions, it is ranked in the top!! He loved to shower gifts and he also presented a beautiful sterling silver charm bracelet to me when my appendix had to be removed. When we went on vacations, he would help me add treasure silver charms for memories of our stops. Yep, you guessed it!- Top treaure ranking! Since I was only 7 or 8 at the time, that bracelet will barely fit around my wrist today (and I have tiny bones and can wear little girl bracelets) but I have still worn it a few times and it remains in my special box!
One more quick memory was dad picking me up to take me to school in brand new cars off the car dealership showroom. He loved the act of spoiling as much as I did! Oftentimes the choice was even a convertible! Did I care if anyone saw me driving up to the school with my dad??!! No way!!! I would tell him to beep the horn! So when it was time for the getaway car from our church wedding, there was my top of the line, brand new off the floor beauty!!! It was his last daddy gift to his little girl. It makes tears as I think back at his thoughtfulness and doting on me!
Dad was my "night in shining armor", my "sugar dad", my joy and, my first male sweetheart!!! I always knew that I was loved by him, and never doubted it!!
When he passed away, I went down and sat by his casket as others came to pay their last respects and viewing. Everyone would stop and share how much he meant in their lives! It made my heart swell with pride to know what a good man he was to others and not just to me. I spent a few minutes with the casket to talk to him and share with him how much I would miss him and all that he represented to me!!!!! I was soooooo greatful that about a month before his passing, I took a few minutes privately to express everything that I later shared at his funeral. My heart was bursting as I expressed my love and gratefulness to him for being my "daddy"!! There was no warning of his impending death, but my inner spirit must have known. I cringe at the thought of not having taken that moment of intimate loving conversation with him!!!!! The last worldly action on earth was to share what he meant to me at the funeral. Nothing could stop me from giving this last gesture of love! After all, he meant the world to me--my world of childhood to adulthood!
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment