Tuesday, June 15, 2010

NOTHING IN LIFE IS MINE TO BEGIN WITH! - MAY 1, 2010

I have been contemplating my life and the many twists and turns life gives. I have come to the conclusion that blessings so outweigh the trials and difficulties that the trials and difficulties really have no place to dwell and set up shop in my every day thoughts. The last few years have had quite a few life changing pivotal moments. I think of all the aha moments in my life that become pivotal changes in my attitude, perspective and outlook on life.
I will take a moment to share a few such.
A number of years back I overheard my mother promising the very ruby ring that I had so coveted and been promised someday, instead being to my daughter. It wasn't that I hated the idea of her sharing it with another, but the forsaken promise made to me since my early childhood was more than I could bear. I sobbed in another room after discussing it with my mother. She informed me it was "hers to give to whomever". My husband entered the room and held me and stated 6 very prescious words that sunk deeply into my heart to never be forgotten: "It wasn't yours to begin with". It might seem slight and truly not applicable considering the early promise, but to me it was life changing. I got it!!! Nothing in this life is mine to begin with. It all is the Lord's! Nothing is settled till the end--including my promise of the Celestial Kingdom. It isn't truly mine till it is the end. I can do my all to make it happen and be the very best I can, repenting when needed, but the final say belongs to Heavanly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ. Material things on this earth are never really settled till the end either. They are sometimes taken back again,too.
As I further ponder this concept I realize that even though my husband, to whom I was sealed for time and all eternity, was just such a twist when he was quickly taken from me a year and 1/ 2 ago. I was given him for eternity, but he was suddenly taken from me on earth to do work on the other side of the veil. It was an added disappointment to me because he had served as a bishop for 7 years (when all bishops around him were being released after 5 yrs) and had been a church employee over church buildings. I hardly ever got to spend time with him or even got him to take vacation trips with me. His retirement from work was quickly approaching and I assumed his release as bishop would also be soon and my dream of going on a mission together, spending time together, getting reacquainted would soon be at hand. I knew that my years of sacrificed time would soon be "together-time". Needless to say, the Lord had another plan for him. Two months before his retirement was due to arrive, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Only 2 months later to the day, he was taken from me in this life. About a week before his death, he was released as bishop. Because we were sealed in the temple it is not final, just put on pause! The doors will open for me again at the second coming, (if not sooner by my own death) to again be encircled in his arms and receive his sweet kisses.
Much happiness has been mine in life in spite of adversities. Adversities are temporary and not "forever" dehabilitating. It is all a matter of perspective and attitude. If we keep focused on the Lord and his plan of happiness and the overall picture, we cannot fail to be happy in spite of adversity. This was given in a blessing to me before Lloyd's death. Life is beautiful! There is much to be thankful for! I know that my Father lives and His promises are sure! He loves me and cares about even my smallest hurts! The Book of Mormon and Bible have true revelation from Heavanly Father and we are able, by reading them, to receive comfort and understanding for life's many twists. The Lord is in charge and will "never allow anything to happen to us that is not for our profit and learning". He can see the "overall picture" and knows the lessons of life we each need to learn and the overall outcome we need to have happen.! We need to put our trust in Him and His will! He will never fail us or allow us to suffer more than is needful for our good!! He is in charge!! His arms of love encircle us always!!!!! You and I are "His work and His Glory"!! If we keep all these things in mind always, we will have eternal Happiness in this life and in the life to come!!!!
Reply Forward

No comments: